Telephone Number: 218-226-4331
Fax Number: 218-226-3140
Library Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Library Hours: Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 6:30 pm; Friday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Closed: Saturday – Sunday
Let us know if you have a comment or suggestion for the Silver Bay Public Library.
Established in 1955, our public library serves the City of Silver Bay as well as the surrounding communities. With sponsorship from the PTA and the Recreation Association; a self-established Library Board of six members was created and met for the first time on January 7, 1955. Furniture and equipment were donated by the mining and construction companies, money for supplies came from various local organizations, and working staff members were volunteers. On August 26, 1957, the village council passed ordinance No. 13 establishing a public library for the village. The first library was housed in a small section of the Municipal Building which also housed the police department and village offices. The Library’s first material collection began by donations from local residents and 500 titles from the Minnesota State Library. In 1967, a new and separate library building was dedicated with construction cost about $95,000.00. The library serves the residents of Silver Bay and Lake County. In 1973, the library joined the Arrowhead Regional Library System. In 1980, the Library joined the North Country Library Cooperative. Today, the library strives to provide the best library service for its customers. The seven-member Library Board meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 4:30 PM in the Library. As a member of the Arrowhead Library System, resources are available from the 27 other libraries in the system.
- Most materials are loaned for 28 days
- DVDs are loaned for 7 days
- CDs and periodicals are loaned for 14 days
- Materials may be renewed by mail, phone, in person or online here
- The Silver Bay Public Library is a fines-free library. Fines may accrue for inter-library loan items. All lost or damaged materials will be paid for.
- Library Cards
- Permanent Residents of the Arrowhead may apply, free of charge. The card may be used throughout the Arrowhead Library System of Minnesota. Non-residents and Temporary borrowers may pay a $10.00 fee for 3 months access to physical items with no digital access.
- Computers and Internet access (hardwired & WiFi) are available for usage by the public. Using the Internet in the library constitutes acceptance of the Silver Bay Public Library Acceptable Use Policy (and the Parental Awareness form signed for those under 18 years of age)
- Public Library 5 year Strategic Plan
The library houses the special book collection of E.W. Davis, founder of the iron ore taconite processing procedure.
- The book club meets the first Monday of every month (unless it’s a holiday) at 6:00 pm at the library. Call or email the library for the current listing. Please stop by the library to join the book club.
- Each month, Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library mails a high quality, age-appropriate book to all registered children from birth to age five, addressed to them, at no cost to the child’s family.
- Books are 100% free to enrolled children because their Local Champion, Friends of the Silver Bay Public Library, has secured funds to cover the cost of the books and the shipping fees.
- Sign your child up today! Here is the registration brochure: Imagination Library.
- Arrowhead Library System Searchable Database
- All Arrowhead Library System (ALS) cardholders may access several searchable reference databases (both adult and children references) free of charge through this site
- Access from home, click here
Friends of the Silver Bay Public Library
The Friends of the Silver Bay Public Library is a 501c(3) tax-exempt organization whose purpose is “to promote good library services and to work with all individuals and groups interested in providing necessary program, project, and financial support to strengthen the library’s resources and partnerships within the community.”
The Friends provide assistance to the library, programs for all ages, ongoing used book sale, annual book sale, provide book covers for a fee, sell new books at 10% off and hosts the book club. Membership is open to everyone. Annual dues are $5.00. The Friends Board meets on the fourth Monday of every month at 6:30 PM in the library.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The Silver Bay Public Library has a seven (7) member board of trustees responsible for establishing the mission and vision of the library, the five (5) year strategic plan, implementing policies and overseeing the general management of the library. Contact City Hall or the public library for vacancies. For more information call 218-226-4331.
Library Director: Julie Billings (email Julie)
Julie was awarded $35,000 in 1995 to automate the Silver Bay Public Library and was awarded the MCI WorldCom 1998 Minnesota Cybrarian of the Year Award as well as the Midwest Technology Grant Winner a total of $31,000 technology grant for outstanding use of current technology to benefit the community.