Library Mission and History
LIBRARY QUICK LINKS
An interactive information and enrichment center that enhances community life by engaging all generations in learning and fun.
Established in 1955, our public library serves the City of Silver Bay as well as the surrounding communities. With sponsorship from the PTA and the Recreation Association; a self-established Library Board of six members was created and met for the first time on January 7, 1955. Furniture and equipment were donated by the mining and construction companies, money for supplies came from various local organizations, and working staff members were volunteers. On August 26, 1957, the village council passed ordinance No. 13 establishing a public library for the village. The first library was housed in a small section of the Municipal Building which also housed the police department and village offices. The Library’s first material collection began by donations from local residents and 500 titles from the Minnesota State Library. In 1967, a new and separate library building was dedicated with construction cost about $95,000.00. The library serves the residents of Silver Bay and Lake County. In 1973, the library joined the Arrowhead Regional Library System. In 1980, the Library joined the North Country Library Cooperative. Today, the library strives to provide the best library service for its customers. The seven-member Library Board meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 4:30 PM in the Library. As a member of the Arrowhead Library System, resources are available from the 27 other libraries in the system.